shot tower

Shot Tower

Completed in 1828, and made a National Historic Landmark in 1972, the Phoenix Shot Tower was mainly used to create “drop and moulded shot”. Hot lead was dropped from the top of the tower, passed through a sieve, and then landed in a vat of cold water at the bottom. Drop shot was used for pistols, and moulded shot was used for larger weapons such as cannons. Less than 70 years later the Shot Tower stopped producing shot when a new method was found making the use of the Phoenix Shot Tower obsolete.


Comments